Thursday, October 18, 2007

Fasting Food


In anticipation of the Nativity fast, I ordered this cookbook. I think its going to be very helpful. In the same order I also got a prosphora seal. Our priest's wife gave some of us new converts a holy breadmaking class. (yeah, yeah Dad...it was the bread that was holy NOT the class!) The bread we made was used the next day in Divine Liturgy which was very cool. I want to make a "practice" batch at home though before I sign up for "real".
I also realized today that Thanksgiving falls during the Nativity fast which means no turkey :( I don't know why this hadn't occured to me before now but there it is.

In other news....I finally got my invite to Ravelry, a very cool new site for knitters and other yarn-y types. You can see what everyone else is working on, catalog your yarn and knitting books and lots of other fun stuff. My screen name is AuntMartha if you ever want to look me up there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two subjects: we cooked a turkey and all the trimmings last night! Got that out of my system, before I even realized that Thanksgiving would fall during the Nativity fast--I'm that new.
I'll look for you on Ravelry; I'm sashadieken.

Anonymous said...

If you have Christmas on the Old Calendar you can have turkey for Thanksgiving :-) not that it does me much good being (a) Scottish and (b) vegetarian *sigh*