Saturday, April 14, 2007

Vespers

Ok, I went to my first Orthodox service this evening, a Vespers service. There were only a handful of people there. I arrived just before the service and when the priest saw me he came over and said hello. He was very kind, friendly and relaxed. He put me at ease at once and handed me a prayerbook open to the vespers service. Yes, the surroundings were strange, beautiful but strange. I expected that. I had no idea where we were in the liturgy most of the time. I expected that too. Oh, and in that handful of people there was a couple in the choir that I knew from my old church in Tulsa. I hadn't seen them in years but just a few days ago, at my favorite yarn store I was chatting with the daughter of a friend who worked there and discovered that she knew this family. Mind you, this was BEFORE I visited the church and saw them! Cool,huh? Also, the priest told me when we were chatting before the service that a woman I know from my current church had just joined! I knew she had left our church but I had no idea where she had gone. So even though I was lost in the liturgy, I came away from the service feeling....."embraced" is the best word I can think of. I will definitely go back soon.

No comments: